The Surfing Victoria Board has a casual vacancy and seeks expressions of interest from individuals to be appointed as a Director to the Board.
About Surfing Victoria (SV)
Surfing Victoria is recognised by the State Government of Victoria and surf industry as the governing and organising body for surfing in Victoria. Surfing Victoria conducts a range of age and discipline events, also, educational programs to coaches, instructors, recreational surfers and competitors. Our services are delivered by a key network of regional coaches, affiliated clubs and surf schools.
The Surfing Victoria Board
The Surfing Victoria Board is comprised of 6 Interested Directors (elected) plus 3 Independent Directors (appointed). There is currently 1 casual vacancy for an Interested Director Position.
Key Board Responsibilities
The Surfing Victoria Board provides leadership and governance for:
• Formulation and delivery of Surfing Victoria Strategic Plan
• Oversight of financial management
• Oversight of governance responsibilities including risk management
• Compliance with all relevant laws
• Review of organisational and program performance
The Surfing Victoria Board is committed to promoting gender equality and supports the Victorian Governments mandatory Board quota of minimum 40% female representation; to bring about cultural change in Victorian sport and promote female representation among leadership positions in the administration of sport.
Length of Term
The casual vacancy will be appointed until the 2021 Surfing Victoria Annual General Meeting (November) whereby the position will become due for election. An Interested Director holds office for a two (2) year term and may be re-elected.
Meetings and Time Commitment
The Board meets 5 times per year on a Monday evening at the Surfing Victoria office in Torquay. There is the capacity to attend Board meetings via tele or videoconference.
Meetings typically run from 5.30pm to 7.30pm. Directors are also expected to attend the Annual General Meeting and any Special Board meeting(s) as required.
The Surfing Victoria Board has assessed its current skill set and believes it would benefit by appointing an individual with experience and expertise in Marketing & Public Relations.
Preference will be given to these candidates however given the diversity of the responsibilities of being a Director, candidates who believe they have other suitable skills are encouraged to apply.
Surfing Victoria is looking for a candidate with the following fields of expertise:
• Marketing planning and strategy
• Sponsorship and advertising
• Digital and social media
• Media and journalism
• Brand development
In addition to demonstrating relevant experiences, skills and qualifications in the core functional areas of responsibility of the Interested Director, candidates will require a range of personal and professional skills, including:
• A demonstrable passion for sport and a genuine understanding and respect for the
opportunities and health, social and other benefits that Surfing Victoria presents to the Victorian community.
• Strategic thinking, with an ability to build a shared understanding of, and commitment to, a vision for the sport.
• The ability to relate to people at all levels.
• The ability to influence and work collaboratively with a range of interest groups
• Demonstrate integrity in all dealings, be honest and open, listen to and consider stakeholder and staff views and act in a way that reflects the culture and values of Surfing Victoria.
Surfing Victoria has a comprehensive website with includes information and news items on all facets of its activities, services and programs – www.surfingvic.com
Candidates are requested to submit a covering letter (one page) together with your CV outlining your experiences and qualifications as they relate to Marketing & Public Relations.
If you believe you have other experiences that enable you to make a positive contribution to the Surfing Victoria Board, please outline these in your application.
EOI to be sent to Adam Robertson, CEO of Surfing Victoria: email@example.com by 15th October 2021.