If you are passionate about surfing and want to make a difference in the sport you love, surf coaching could be a great opportunity for you to get involved!
If you are already an accreditated coach and need to renew – click here
What’s new in becoming an accredited coach?
- Firstly, Surfing Australia and all its states are now operating on a website called GO Membership. Yes, it looks super different but essentially this host everything that has a transaction attached to it. E.g. event entries, state membership, and coaching accreditations. By clicking HERE you will be sent to your profile on GO membership to complete all these transactions.
- The Coaching Level One accreditation is now called Foundation Coaching Course.
- The Level Two accreditation is now called Progression Coaching Course.
- Both these accreditations are to be renewed every year, with a $55 renewal fee.
- All educational courses including judging are now completed online. It’s a great way for our coaches in rural areas to have the opportunity to become a surf coach. The LMS (Learning Management System) requires a separate login & password to your GO membership profile. This is sent via email after purchasing the course.
- Only the learning modules are completed on the LMS system. Please ensure you upload your credentials to your GO membership profile.
- A “Qualification”refers to your overall certificate e.g Foundation Coaching Course.
- A “Credential” refers to an additional certificate you hold to ensure your qualification is active e.g Surf Safety certificate.
- We don’t issue a final certificate. If your employer needs a formal certificate please use the certificate you received after finishing your LMS online learning.
- Play by the Rules is new. This is a Government led Child Safety online course that only takes around 30mins and is FREE!
- CPR certificate needs to be refreshed every year and the certificate uploaded as its own individual credential.
- All accreditations are only valid for one year. This has been done to ensure all coaches are up-to-date with their credentials.
- GO membership will remind you when your credentials are expiring, so you can keep up to date. Your surf school owners can see whether your credentials are active or not
Important information for Existing Coaches
.For coaches needing to get their accreditation up-to-date on our new website GO Membership.
Note: This generic information also applies to judges and new coaches.
Last October you were sent an email stating that all your information from our past website has been moved across to GO Membership. All that was needed was for you to create a password.
- If you haven’t already done this, go to your junk mail or inbox and search “GO Membership“
- Once you have done this, hit the link to reset your password. The password reset link may take up to 7 minutes to be sent back to your inbox.
- If you don’t receive this, have a duplicate profile or need an email address changed. Please contact email@example.com who can amend this for you.
Write down your password somewhere safe! We get so many people who forget their password. Don’t trust your computer.
GO membership Profile Overview
Have a play around and familiarise yourself with your new profile.
Add your surf school to the MY CLUBS along with Surfing Victoria if you haven’t already.
See the right section of the image ” Select Clubs”
Click Qualifications.. you will see your Foundation surf coach or Progression surf coach ACTIVE, INACTIVE or PENDING.
If its Inactive, please proceed to the nexts steps.
Now, Select the Credentials Tab. Here is where you upload all your certificates so they are all in one place. No more searching through emails and old files.
From here, ensure you Add Credential (do not edit an old credential). Remember, you need 8 credentials to have an active accreditation.
Please make sure you select the correct start and end date.
The 8 Important Documents
Surfing Australia now require these documents to be updated, to keep everyone safe and your surf school insured. Below are the 8 important documents you will need to upload on your profile.
- Certificate of completion for the Foundation Coaching Course/Renewal certificate online component – Coaches who’s accreditation expired more than 2 years ago click here to complete a renewal on the LMS system, then upload. Coaches who are in date or just expired, please upload your current coaching certificate (Cost $55, covers coaching license).
- Completed Foundation Coaching logbook – Existing coaches are to upload their old coaching certificate or coaching card here
- Current Ocean Safety qualification (Surf Rescue Certificate, Bronze Medallion or Ocean Safety Surf Coach Award)
- Current First Aid qualification (HLTAID003)
- Current CPR qualification (HLTAID001) – CPR is included in your First Aid qualification, however CPR expires every 1 year. Generally this is included in your Ocean Safety Award update, however please check the award.
- Current Working With Children Check – if you are under 18, please upload a word document stating you are under 18, and set your expiry date to the date you turn 18 years old.
- Certificate of completion for the Play by the Rules – Child Protection course.
- Current state association membership – Upload a screen shot of your membership on your profile, or receipt of payment (Covers personal accident insurance)
If you are still having issues, please submit a ticket via the help section and we will get back to you ASAP.
Foundation Surf Coaching Course
Want the best job in the world? Start your career in surf coaching today with the Foundation Surf Coaching Course (formerly Level 1 Surf Coaching Course).
The role of a Surfing Australia Foundation Surf Coach is to introduce beginner surfers to the sport in a safe, fun and supportive manner that goes beyond the simple instruction of skill.
You’ll also be eligible for nationwide employment as a coach at any of our 100+ Surfing Australia affiliated surf schools.
Progression Surf Coaching Course
Becoming a Surfing Australia Progression Surf Coach (formerly level 2 Surf Coach) is a fulfilling experience where you’ll give intermediate and advanced surfers the opportunity to further develop their skills both in and out of the water.
You’ll support surfers in their technical, physical and psychological development as they transition to more advanced levels of surfing and for some, a competitive career.
Important note: you must hold a Foundation Surf Coach accreditation for a minimum of 12 months before you can enrol in the Progression Surf Coaching Course.
Foundation SUP Coaching Course
Want the best job in the world? Start your career in coaching today with the Foundation SUP Coaching Course (formerly Flat Water SUP Coach Course).
The role of a Surfing Australia Foundation SUP Coach is to introduce beginner stand-up paddle boarders to the sport in a safe, fun and supportive manner that goes beyond the simple instruction of skill.
You’ll also be eligible for nationwide employment as a coach at any of our 100+ Surfing Australia affiliated surf and SUP schools.